Monday, March 9, 2009

BUS-TED


(my favourite entry from my previous blog)

I have been traveling by bus for the past 8 years.. First just a short distance along Hill Road from my school, when I lived in Bandra, and then up to Mahim, after I moved. Finally from R.D. National College and later Thadomal Shahani Engineering College on Linking road to Mahim.

What annoys me greatly is that as change the conductors return 25 paise coins, which are not accepted anywhere else and just lie in the corner of my wallet or bag for ages without being used in any kind of transactions.

Just last year the B.E.S.T introduced the concept of smart cards with a limited validity, depending on the route, instead of buying tickets (Finally!!) They save the hassle of buying and storing millions of tickets as well as loose change. As time passed, some of the conductors have become too lazy to get out their infra-red card checkers each time someone produces a card. This irritates me to no ends as I make the effort to dig into all corners of my bag for the card and all the conductor does is wave his hand at me in a disinterested manner and move ahead to the next passenger. Typically, this habit of theirs failed when I need it the most! The validity on my card had expired and since college was on for just a few more days, I didn’t think it necessary to extend the validity. As I was relying on the ignorant attitude of the conductor to save me from finding some loose change for the t, I showed him my card and tried to appear nonchalant. And as luck would have it, he pulled out his checking contraption, scrutinized the card and said “Memsaab ye khatam ho Gaya hai!” I acted all surprised and apologetic as if it was a genuine mistake on my part and produced the fare, while all the time in my mind I was going “Damn Damn Damn Damn!!!!”

Many people prefer trains to buses, but I beg to differ. I love travelling by buses, irrespective of what i have written above.

I would never trade, unless I get my own car!!

1 comments:

Rohan said...

Same here, same here..A window seat + an ipod = hell with the world ! :D

Btw u an ask him to keep the change when he gives u 25p :P lol